Children light-up with joy and interest at Mika's Drumming Magic presentations.
Presentations are perfect for:
Mika is available alone or with his band Bata-Boom, which includes Brian Carter and master African musician Baba Ken Okulolo (bass player, lead vocalist and band leader) from the bands Katoja and The West African Highlife Band.
- School assemblies
- Family nights
- Special events
- Teacher trainings
When children play drums in a group, they are learning much more than just how to play an instrument. They are also learning:
Mika first began teaching music and drumming with children in 1981 while studying early childhood education at Cabrillo College in Santa Cruz. Since then he has taught thousands of classes at a variety of schools. He is experienced in working with youth from many different age groups, cultural and economic backgrounds and has received various trainings in diversity conflict management.
- Mathematics, by identifying and experiencing sequences of numbers.
- To cooperate and control their excitement.
- Exposure to music of other cultures.
- To concentrate while integrating structure and creativity.
- To express their feelings in a safe, positive way.
- To coordinate auditory, visual and kinesthetic information.
- A great way to have fun!
Left to right: Mika Scott, Ken Okulolo and Brian Carter